Monday, July 7, 2008

Day 15

Day 15
July 4th, 2008
Current Location: Medicine Hat

Today was a pretty interesting day. It was the first day in over a week or so that Brett wasn’t with me in the van. He had to meet with his acupuncturist and doctor. He eventually met up with us later in the day in Medicine Hat. It was kind of weird driving by myself again. I ended up listening to my IPod for most of the trip. I listened to 62+ Modest Mouse songs.

Adam Vossepoel, Brodie Pattenden and Chris Courtney joined us for the trip to Medicine Hat. Adam and Brodie are from the University of Lethbridge Students’ Union and Chris is from Alpenland. Today was the longest bike ride ever for the three of them. All three of them broke the American century mark of 100 miles (160ish KM’s). I was really impressed by the three of them considering that none of them had really trained for the bike ride. I think that I would have been done after 30 km’s (I’m disgustingly out of shape).

While on our way to Medicine Hat we briefly stopped in a small town called Burdett because we saw a vintage Canadian military vehicle riding along in the parking lot for a store that sold John Deer machinery. It was a really old APV (armoured personal vehicle). The six of us and the gnome ended up taking a group picture on top of the vehicle.

We ended up staying with Brett’s grandmother when we reached Medicine Hat. She was a really nice host. Kelly and I stayed in her basement and slept on some fold out couches. Later in the night, I explored her basement and found her art studio. It was really cool and I was really impressed. I later found out that the house was decorated with her pieces of work.

No comments: