Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Day 32

Day 32
Date: July 21st, 2008
Location: In a campsite about 20 KM’s north of Marathon


Today was a really bad day in general. It started off rather well in the beginning. We all had a pretty good night’s sleep in the campground in Terrace Bay. After we packed up, we went to a nice little waterfall that was near the campsite. After we were on the road we eventually saw a small baby bear on the highway. When I first saw it I thought it was a dog crossing the road. It was the first time on the trip that I actually saw a live bear and an animal that was alive on the highway. It seemed like it was in slow motion when I saw the bear. It looked like it was looking both ways when it darted through the road. As it was moving across the road, I saw a half-ton truck in my side view mirror heading towards the bear. The truck was moving slowly enough that I thought that its driver would notice the bear. It didn’t. I looked in horror as I saw the bear get hit by the truck. It was a really disturbing scene.


About an hour or so after the horrific scene of the bear, as I was driving I saw Brett pull to the side of a fence and wince in pain as he injured his leg for the second time on the trip. I could see from the look on his face that he was in a copious amount of pain and that he was done for the day. In all likelihood he’ll be unable to bike for the next couple of weeks.


After eating at an Esso, I drove Brett, Vanessa and Kelly to the hospital in Marathon. Kelly had an awkward bump on his neck and Vanessa had some sort of ailment After dropping them off in the hospital I drove back to find a campsite. On my way to the site I almost ended up hitting another bear crossing the highway. Luckily, I saw the bear in time and swerved into the shoulder.

No comments: